Bowen therapy helps the body’s own healing resources to achieve balance and harmony. This can result in rapid and often long-lasting relief from pain and discomfort, often where other modalities and treatments have not been effective. Benefits may be seen and measured after the first session.
Integrated body response
Bowen therapy is performed on the superficial and deep fascia. The fascia, or soft tissue, is the part of the connective tissue that envelops, separates and influences every organ and tissue in the body. It has been called the ‘endless web’ – recent studies have shown it to be the largest and richest sensory organ in the body, having a profound effect on the body’s physiology and function.
The Bowen technique is safe to use on anyone, from newborns to the elderly and for any musculoskeletal or related neurological complaint. It is a holistic treatment that treats the whole person and aims to treat the cause of problems, rather than the symptoms.
As well as providing rapid and often long-term pain relief, Bowen can help to improve:
- Lymphatic and venous draining
- Assimilation of nutrients
- Elimination of toxins
- Joint mobility
- Normalisation of cellular physiology and tissue integrity.
A Bowen treatment consists of sequences of small moves at varying pressures, each at a specific site on the body. The treatment is pleasant – therapists use light, cross-fibre manoeuvres of muscle, tendon or ligament with no forceful manipulation.
A treatment will typically last between 30 minutes and one hour. It can be provided through a layer of light clothing, although you may be asked to remove heavy or thick garments. During this time, the therapist may leave the room for periods of 2–5 minutes at a time. This allows time for your body to respond to the treatment and for the necessary changes to occur in your body before commencing the next sequence of moves.
During the treatment, the therapist will discuss possible side effects from the treatment that show that the body’s self-healing process is working. They will emphasise the importance of body hydration (drinking plenty of water) and will recommend any other exercise, environmental or lifestyle changes necessary to maintain your wellbeing.
What you can expect
Bowen is not an ongoing therapy. In most cases, the recipient can expect substantial relief after just the first session and significant resolution or recovery within three sessions. However, chronic or long-standing conditions or repeat injury may require additional treatments. Some clients have periodic Bowen therapy sessions to maintain body integrity and balance and to prevent the onset of problems.
Bowen can help a range of disorders
Bowen balances the physical, mental and emotional planes of the body (this is called ‘body balancing’). Some conditions that have responded well to Bowen include:
- Sports and accident injuries
- Frozen shoulders
- Stress disorders
- Neck and head tension
- Musculoskeletal pain and imbalance
- Respiratory and asthma complaints
- Acute and chronic fatigue
- Bed wetting
- Digestive problems
- Menstrual complaints
- Anorexia nervosa
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Hormonal disorders
- Hyperactive disorder
- Learning difficulties
- It helps many conditions, from sports injuries to long standing complaints
- There is no vigorous manipulation
- It’s gentle, stimulating and healing
- It improves mobility, balances the body and de-toxifies
- It improves circulation, lymphatic and venous drainage
- It helps nutrient absorption
- It helps address both physical and emotional issues
- Substantial relief is often achieved after only one session
AND YOU CAN REST ASSURED BECAUSE…
Certified Practitioners are well trained and adhere to a stringent code of conduct are fully insured, and they are also required to undertake 16 hours of Continuous Professional Development training every year
Why choose Bowen?
- The Bowen technique is a complementary modality, meaning it will enhance and complement other medical treatments.
- It can be used on almost any conditions, from sports injuries to long standing complaints.
- It addresses the body as a whole unit, rather then just the presenting symptoms; so often many conditions can be treated at the same time.
- It is gentle – it can be performed on newborn babies through to the elderly.
- It can releases muscle and nerve tension and revitalise a congested lymphatic system.
- It can improve mobility, circulation and detoxify the body.
- It can help address both physical and emotional issues.
- It can balance the autonomic nervous system so that the stress dominated sympathetic side is reduced, inducing a more relaxed state where healing can take place.
- Long lasting relief is often achieved with as little as 3 to 6 treatments.
- The Bowen technique is one of the most versatile and effective therapeutic treatment available to us in the 21 century.
For an appointment call David Murphy B.T.A.A. on 01236 429739 / 0771853390